Full of flavours and textures
cooking time: 50mins difficulty: easy serves: 4
For the soup:
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 star anise
- 5 pepper corns
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
-1 thumb of ginger, minced
- 4 cups of water
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp of soy sauce (or Tamari for GF)
- 175 g of brown rice noodles (any noodle of your choice could work)
- Pan fried tofu
- Pan fried shiitake mushrooms
- Fresh basil
- Fresh mint
- Fresh coriander (or parsley if you hate coriander as I do)
- Green onions
- Fresh lime
- Fresh jalapeño
- Fried onions
- Pan fried bok choy
1. Warm a medium soup pot over medium heat. Add the cinnamon sticks, cloves and star anise and toast until fragrant, stirring occasionally, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the onion, ginger and garlic and stir for 2 more minutes. Then, add the vegetable stock, water and soy sauce. Raise the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes.
2. In the meantime, prepare your rice noodles by cooking them according to package directions. Set them aside.
3. Once the broth is done cooking, strain out the onions, ginger and spices and season it to taste.
4. Ladle the broth into bowls, add cooked noodles and the garnishes of your choice.
If you are craving take out food this is the perfect recipe. It leaves your house smelling delicious.
You can play around with the toppings and change them everytime you make it.