Hearty, satisfying and nutritious
Cooking time: 45mins Difficulty: easy Serves: 4
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 celery stalk, diced
1 bell pepper, chopped
6 mushrooms, chopped
1 cup of dry brown lentils
3 cups of vegetable broth
1 400ml tinned tomatoes
1 cup of cannellini beans, cooked
1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp of soy sauce
1 tsp of oregano
1 tsp of onion powder
1 tsp of cumin
½ tsp of chili flakes
½ smoked paprika
1 tsp of turmeric
1 tsp of brown sugar
1 tsp cornstarch mixed with 1tbsp of water to thicken
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat oil (or water if avoiding oil) in a pot over medium heat and add the chopped onion, celery, bell pepper, and mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes, then add garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
2. Add the spice, the lentils, the brown sugar and broth and bring the mixture to a boil.
3. Then, add the bay leaves and cook with a lid on for about 15 minutes.
4. Then add the crushed tomatoes and stir. Let it simmer for a further 15 minutes or until the lentils are cooked.
5. Finally, add the soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, the cooked beans and the cornstarch mixture.
6. Taste and adjust the spices if needed.
This recipe works really good on rice.
#healthyfood #vegan #veganfood #veganrecipes #plantbased #veganmeals #plantbasedliving #plantbasedlife #wholefoodsplantbased #easyrecipes