Pungent flavours and easy to make
cooking time: 35mins difficulty: easy serves: 2/3
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp of capers
- ¼ cup of black olived, sliced
- 1 tsp of chili flakes
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 150 ml of vegetable stock
- 175 g of whole wheat pasta (or any pasta of your choise)
- Salt and pepper to taste.
1. Heat 3 tablespoons of water in a large, non-stick saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and fry gently for 4-5 minutes, stirring regularly, until softened and very lightly browned.
2. Stir in the olives, capers, chilli flakes and salt, then add the tinned tomatoes vegetable broth. Bring the mixture to the boil, then reduce the heat until the mixture is simmering. Simmer very gently for 40-45 minutes, stirring regularly, until the sauce has thickened.
3. Once the sauce has been cooking for 30 minutes, half-fill a large saucepan with boiling water. Add the spaghetti and cook according to the packet instructions, until al dente.
4. Nix the sauce with the pasta and serve with fresh parsley (optional).
You can substitute the water with oil if you like.